Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Mother Earth

How do you imagine Mother Earth? Is she old & wise? Young & adorned with flowers? I have different images of her in my head. They change with the season, with stories I hear & tell. 

To me she is such an archetypal figure on the Nature Table. I've been experimenting with creating the different Mother Earths of my imagination.

This one is about 10" tall. Her body is needle-felted. She wears a hooded cape knitted on teeny-tiny needles using some Koigu yarn. Her apron has a simple grass - sky - sunflower scene needle-felted onto a piece of wet-felted wool-mohair felt. She is wise & old. Her hair is thus gray, with a lil' bun in the back. 

I love how she turned out. How about you? Well, guess what. I'm not keeping her. This is a bit of a teaser. :-) On Monday I'll tell you more about all of that. Do check back in!

In the meantime, if you have a link to the Mother Earth of your imagination, the Mother Earth who lives on your Nature Table maybe, please do share a link in the comment section. I'd love to see her!

12 comments:

MamaWestWind said...

She's lovely! I especially love her knit cloak.

Becca

Julie said...

I usually imagine her to be young with a belly full of babies! Unless it's winter, then I imagine her much like this. You did a beautiful job, Cadi!

W-S Wanderings said...

I think of Mother Earth in much the same way you expressed - shifting with the seasons. But more ageless, perhaps.

Beautiful work, full of wonderful detail.

paula said...

I have always imagined Mother Earth to be a lot like the Mother Goose picture on the old nursery rhymes books . . bonnet, dress, apron, cape . . wire rimmed glasses, gray hair . . . but with so much impishness in her that she acts so much younger than her age . . wich is uncountable.

Chris said...

I'm visiting from Down To Earth and I love your Mother Earth. She has a kindness and sensibility about her that warms me. I've never thought about this but now I will.

Anonymous said...

This is how I envision her. You are so talented. Beautiful.

Mel J.from Pa.

karen said...

your mother earth is beautiful! I picture her as a beautiful lady with long brown hair and a long white flowing dress. You can see our nature table mother earth here-http://barefeetandafreespirit.blogspot.com/2011/08/spring-preparations.html

Restless Prairie Farm said...

I love her! I need to build more dolls this year!

Unknown said...

I love your mother earth. She reminds me of the german story "Frau Holle" thanks for sharing x

Melissa Plank said...

Pretty, such wonderfully detailed work!

Linda said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

renee ~ heirloom seasons said...

She is so so beautiful! Wonderful expression in her eyes!