Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Scary Part About Halloween

No, it wasn't the masks or costumes.

I took Nuriel trick-or-treating to our old neighborhood. Noah and Nathan both chose to stay at home, so it was just us two. Nuriel was dressed as a Koru (Picture coming soon...). Once she figured out that people were putting candy into her little felted pumpkin baggie, she walked from house to house with springy step and I was very proud of her trick-or-treating manners.

As she is entering these memorable times of childhood, I can feel that looming question, "Where is my Daddy" come closer and closer and I'm terrified. She has been imitating a boy she goes to childcare with and says, "My Daddy is at work." I must admit I had to gulp the first time she said it.

As I was making my way through the neighborhood yesterday, there were so many Dads out with their children and I awakened to a different pain. The pain of knowing my precious daughter will never have a moment like THAT...

And that was the scariest part about Halloween...

3 comments:

Murielle said...

Can't wait to see a photo of that little Halloween Koru! How sweet - and what a lovely cultural blend! Love IS stronger than death and in time she will grow to know her Daddy is a loving 'forever friend'- always beside her. That doesn't make the questions any easier for you though....((Hugs xx))

angela said...

I cant wait to see the photo, Im so sorry you are going through this pain. when she is old enough to understand you will tell her that her daddy was a wonderful man who loved you and we loves her too. you have been such a strong wonderful mother for her, she hasnt gone with out in the love and nurture department.

CarpeDyem said...

It is a fear that will be met with emotion. I can't quite find the right words at the moment, I wish I could give you a hug and a cuddle, be there and support you xxx You will find a way xxx