Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

The Daily Grind

I had already planned on taking today off last week. The full-time job & single mother routine has really been getting to me lately & it seems every time I turn around there is yet another evening function at school that I need to attend. I'm teaching more hours than I did last year & I have committee obligations I did not have before. I have been sick off and on for weeks. I needed a breather. My children often go with sandwiches & salad for dinner. It is rare I find the time to cook a warm meal during the week. Laundry piles up; so do the dishes. The more chaotic my house is, the more chaotic I get on the inside. I feel like my job as a Waldorf teacher is to provide a glimpse of meaningful, balanced, "slow" living for children & my own children get the short stick in the process because Mom has too many obligations.

I spent the day at home today with youngest child. While I ended up getting caught up on work for some of the time, we also baked together (Fruity Almond White Chocolate Chip Cookies) & just had a nice conversation about life in general. I wish I had more time for moments like these. I usually feel too exhausted just from keeping up with the daily grind to do anything meaningful at home. There's something wrong with that picture! I managed to cook a big pot of soup, too. Dishes done. Laundry pile down to one load. Grocery shopping done. House in a semi-acceptable state and it's just 2:30 p.m. - I just love it! Can I just have a 3-days weekend every week? I would be so much more productive during the four remaining work days. - Really!

3 comments:

Charlotte Scott said...

You remind me how blessed I am and how thankful I should be to be able to give up work and concentrate on my family, my home, my garden and my quilting. But even though it's hard yacker for you, your kids look happy in all your pics of them. Bright Blessings to you too, you sound like you need them ;)

Teaching Handwork said...

go to this site for painting ideas for 6th grade. http://www.waldorfteachers.com/gallery/Painting/

Chow

busygnomes said...

I see the teachers at our school, how committed they are to this form of education, they too all look tired at this time of year.
It's so hard to find a balance, I'm a stay a home mum, and I still struggle to keep the balance.
I think you are doing a wonderful job, and one thing you're children will learn will be, to help others. ( and that they had a strong mum)