Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Star Boys

The other day, when posting about the felted Lucia crowns, I mentioned the star wands the boys will be carrying. The stars are all still in raw form. The parent of a student kindly cut them out from 3/4" wood. They are 8" in diameter. I had left the choice of 5-pointed or 6-pointed up to him. They have a 3/8" hole drilled in the bottom where a 3-foot dowel will be glued into. - I suppose that makes them more like a star staff. The parents of the boys will now sand the edges & then paint the stars golden.

In our Santa Lucia procession the boys will have the star wands in one hand and a jug of (a non-alcoholic version of) Gloegg in the other. The girls will carry the Lucia bread. Oh, I should mention that the girls will also be wearing a red sash tied around the waist. It will simply be a 6x48" silk scarf dyed red.

I will invite the parents of students to gather in the library in the morning so they will be the first ones to enjoy the beautiful Lucia singing & their children will serve them Lucia bread and Gloegg. Then the students will journey from class to class. They will leave a Lucia crown in each class and the boys will serve Gloegg to the teacher. Of course we will also visit all the lovely people in the administrative offices.

I've had a Lucia I felted for the nature table for years. I'm going to make a star boy to go along with her. In a traditional Swedish procession there's also a Tomten (gnome). I will share the pictures as soon as I'm done creating. I should probably also post the recipe for the baked Santa Lucia crown & the non-alcoholic Gloegg. Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer the alcoholic version, but that's not the thing to serve at school to teachers!

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
Do you have the recipe for the Santa Lucia crown and the non-alcoholic Glogg? Would love to make these for my family when we have our own Santa Lucia celebrations over the holidays.

Many thanks,
Susan