Our lantern walk on Friday was "rained out," so today was the rain date. It was the warmest lantern walk ever - a short sleeves & shorts kinda day with temperatures in the low 70s. My 2nd grade performed a Martinmas song & I told the story of St. Martin & The Robbers.
From left... A lantern wet-felted over a small balloon. A recycled can with hammered holes - Freeze water inside before pounding as to avoid can denting. Line with wax paper if desired. This was our 2nd grade lantern project. So loud & awakening, but so much fun especially for the boys and the cholerics. The 5th graders carved gourds - fitting with the study of Botany. The 6th graders used Chinese take-out boxes and made lanterns with the moon, sun & constellations punched in.
The 1st graders glued tissue papers onto glass jars. The round ones are the traditional glue & tissue paper over a balloon type lanterns created by kindergarteners, I believe. The blue one with cathedral windows was created by 4th graders.
Just more lanterns. :-)
Nathan's gourd lit there on the right. It was a smokey kind of lantern walk. Some lil' fuzzies inside the lantern burned down & it started smoking.
From left... A lantern wet-felted over a small balloon. A recycled can with hammered holes - Freeze water inside before pounding as to avoid can denting. Line with wax paper if desired. This was our 2nd grade lantern project. So loud & awakening, but so much fun especially for the boys and the cholerics. The 5th graders carved gourds - fitting with the study of Botany. The 6th graders used Chinese take-out boxes and made lanterns with the moon, sun & constellations punched in.
The 1st graders glued tissue papers onto glass jars. The round ones are the traditional glue & tissue paper over a balloon type lanterns created by kindergarteners, I believe. The blue one with cathedral windows was created by 4th graders.
Just more lanterns. :-)
Nathan's gourd lit there on the right. It was a smokey kind of lantern walk. Some lil' fuzzies inside the lantern burned down & it started smoking.
2 comments:
great lanterns!!! I love the 5th grade idea. I will share that for next years 5th grade
Hi, for our Saturday morning home craft we decided to do lanterns. I clicked on google images and found your site. It was perfect for showing my two young children what our final product will look like.
I started reading through your blog and I kept saying to myself...wow this is just like our "waldorfy" stuff. I kept reading and then I saw you are a Waldorf teacher. Thanks so much for taking the time to keep up this beautiful blog. We were part of the Waldorf community in Ohio (Spring Garden Waldorf School Copley Ohio) and I miss the slow intelligent conversation and most of all the hand work and felt projects. Thanks again for bringing back wonderful memories!
Kallie
Kalendraking@yahoo.com
Post a Comment