Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

Beeswax Crayons & Lo Shu

Beeswax crayons in their second year of use. I just recently gave out a gray, so that one looks rather new. For 3rd grade I will simply replace those that need it & during the last week of 2nd grade we will clean them with a wee bit of olive oil on a rag. We do a lot of golden backgrounds. I have some students who have used up a golden block in its entirety, nothing left. Quality tools for quality work. - I love the Stockmar crayons made from beeswax. This is their German webpage, but you can also purchase them in the U.S., for example here. (I do believe this is a home-based business.)

Do you know the story of Lo Shu and the magic number squares? Quite something for 2nd graders to discover. My classroom is a worksheet-free zone - except for an occasional math practice sheet, but those are always written by me by hand & I do the math, too!

LoShu all finished along with the Chinese characters. This particular student made a really big turtle, so the Chinese symbols are a bit hard to see up there in the corner. They were so excited that I let them write something in Chinese. They copied it from my chalkboard drawing.

Then some more "magical math" on the board. It can be hard to hold the attention of a group of children who are "ready for summer," but on this hot Friday Lo Shu did the trick.

2 comments:

paula said...

You are one creative teacher . . . keep up the good work.

renee ~ heirloom seasons said...

We love our beeswax crayons too. Yellow and brown get worn down the most, have already had to replace several stick crayons, my girls sure do draw a lot though!