Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Veggie Soup

The yummy end product.

This has become a favorite recipe in our house as I'm trying to increase my iron consumption. Pairing ingredients that are high in Vitamin C with those high in iron helps increase the absorbency of iron in the body. This is a quick recipe that is healthy, budget-friendly & single-mother friendly, 'cause it's so easy to make that the kids can do the chopping & cooking while the pregnant Mama knits & blogs about soup recipes! This is a chunky soup. As always, it's best to go local and/or organic with ingredients. The best produce comes from your garden!

Veggies chopped. Yay for clean teenager-fingernails!

You'll need:

A bit of olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
2 stalks of celery, diced
3-4 medium carrots, diced
4 oz. fresh (baby) spinach
2 cups of water
2 - 28oz. can of pureed tomatoes
1 cup of pasta (We like the colorful spirals from the bulk isle.)
A bit of heavy cream
A broth cube (I'm a Rapunzel girl.)
A few sprigs of parsley, chopped
Sea-salt & pepper to taste

Gettin' it goin'.

To make it:

Sautee the veggies in the olive oil until onions are glassy, spinach is soft. Add the pureed tomatoes, water, the garlic & the broth cube. Bring to a boil. Add the pasta & reduce to simmer. Season to taste. Remove from heat when pasta is 'al dente.' Add a bit of heavy cream to increase the yummy factor. (I'm not a low-fat cook. Nourishing Traditions is a good read if you're wondering why.) Garnish with parsley.

Serve with a handful of roasted pumpkin seeds to add even more iron. And maybe have a shot of Floradix with it, too. ;-)

Feeds a pregnant mother & 2 hungry sort-of-teenagers with some leftovers for lunch the next day. (Oh, and it also is enough to feed the friend of one of the boys who shows up unexpectedly & makes the pregnant Mama remember that we did invite him over yesterday.)

Well, the boys are done cooking the soup. I'm done blogging about it. Off I go to eat. I must remember to tell them a good cook cleans the kitchen, too.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

That looks really tasty! I love a good, hearty, vegetable soup - yum!

paula said...

Makes me want soup . . even though it is getting warm out and it would only make me warmer . . LOLOL

Michelle said...

This looks delicious!!! I'm definitely going to try. Although we're dairy free so will try coconut cream...yum!

Unknown said...

This looks amazing, will definitely try it, thanks for sharing. x