Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

Frog Or Finish? - You Decide!

So, everything was going fine with this cute lil' sweater, until I ran out of skein #1. I had no worries as I had skein #2 and skein #3 of the same dye-lot. Well, turns out the dye-lots are not so "same." In fact, they are very different. Below you can see it at the lower end of the sleeve. The green is a totally different hue & there's so much of it! Ughhh. I'm picturing the 2nd sleeve will be a disaster?!

The melancholic in me (... and I am predominantly melancholic!) wants to frog the whole sweater (after crying for a bit) - It has to be perfect! The choleric in me just wants to get it done. The phlegmatic in me would probably unravel the project, then slowly re-knit it, going back and forth between skeins. The sanguine in me (... ehmmm, I'm totally not sanguine!) wants to put it in the UFO (unfinished object) pile & do something completely different.

But the choices are:
(1) Frog it! You wouldn't want your kid wearing that!
(2) Finish it! Rejoice in the surprise hand-painted yarn can have in store.

You tell me what to do & I will do it. (Don't you love telling people what to do?) Vote by Friday & I will post pictures of the unraveled yarn or the finished sweater by Saturday.

Thank you for enabling my indecisive Pisces-nature! Soon I might ask you to make more important life-decisions for me. :-)

14 comments:

Anne said...

I don't notice the difference in the greens but it could be my computer screen.

If your a fast knitter you could go back and forth between skeins and hope your baby dosen't out grow it too quickly....:)

But I'm bit on the lazy side LOL;) (I have to many ufo's.)

I'd probably go with choice 2.

paula said...

Dear Baby N,
I see that you only have 113 days left until you make your appearance in this awesome world of ours.

You are one lucky little baby . . . you are, what my Mom would have called, a"a real duke's mixture." A little bit North American, a little bit Kiwi, a little bit "way down south," and a little bit "WAY DOWN south," a little bit Momma and a little bit Daddy, a little it Nathan a little bit Noah, etc., etc., etc.

therefore, my vote it to wrap little Baby N in thie beautiful hand dyed yarn . . it, like Baby N, is a little bit of a lot of colors all would up into one beautiful finished project.

Just remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you, my darling Baby N, will be beautiful in anything you wear.

Signed,
Auntie Paula from Western New York

Indigo, madder, marigold said...

I have a suggestion. I would not indeed frog it, but re-knit the sleeves by alternating the skeins...two rounds each color.
I recently did this with a sweater and it turned out beautiful...until my husband shrunk it. Arrgggghhh. So maybe you can redeem yours and mine :)

momma rae said...

finish it! honestly, i did not notice the difference until you pointed it out. i still don't think it stands out, but it could be my monitor. i love the variegated love you've got going on there and i say keep going!

of course, i have never knit a garment and i think it looks quite impressive. i could not imagine ripping it out!!

Cadi said...

Thanks for all the feedback so far. No melancholic knitters amongst you, huh? ;-)

The Little Mama said...

Hm. My temperament tends to float between phlegmatic and sanguine, but I think in this case, I would just finish it.

Now you can help me! i just finished a Baby Surprise in a beautiful yellow and grey stripes, but my gauge was off, and it fits the boys Bamboletta dolls, not my sweet babe. So, do I just give it up to the dolls, or frog and reknit? (Let's keep in mind the yarn is 20% cashmere...)

Cadi said...

I think I'd frog unless there was enough yarn to make a baby sweater, too. ;-)

reuben james said...

Hmmmm Well, I can see the difference in the colour BUT, I think only because you have pointed it out to me.
Thing is you made it so it is made with love :-) I think you should go for No.2 and rejoice.

Though if I was Knitting it I would probably frog it,
ONLY because I'm a bit that way when I am creating something I like things to be just right ;-)

hmmmm I don't think I actually answered your question did I? ;-)

Charlotte Scott said...

I can see the difference when you point it out but because the whole thing is variagated it looks like the sleeve is graduated - I like it. But then there is no way I'd be unravelling all that beautiful knitting so maybe that's influencing me! I vote keep going and celebrate the vagaries of variagated.

Needle, Thimble and Thread said...

Here's my offer...

you finish the sweater and if when you put it on "Baby N" he or she complains that the dye lots are very different and they can't let the other babies see them wearing something of the like....then I will send you the baby's weight in hand dyed wool.

don't worry your heart over the little things in life....let this one be swept away with the next swift wind...hugs

Chartreuse said...

Very interesting dilemma. In my own child-bearing time (some 40 years ago) I would have stressed wildly over the imperfection of the finished product, and either discarded the jumper or unravelled and reknit it, alternating skein yarns, as you suggest. Now that I'm wrinkly and (I like to think) wiser, I would love to dress a hypothetical grand-daughter in anything so idiosyncratic (though my own daughter, the hypothetical mother, would probably object, since she's inherited the perfection gene). Mainly, I guess, my senior self would be only too conscious of my dwindling energy reserves to ever contemplate unravelling and reknitting a garment that didn't have major structural faults. So I guess the choice has to be yours, if you want to feel comfortable with the outcome. But thanks for reminding me yet again what a difference 40 years can make!

Oddiferous said...

I vote number two! Of course I do!

My kid would happily wear that. All the time. And I'd brag that you made it! It looks beautiful.

Cadi said...

Thanks for all your comments.
I guess I better start knitting away on that 2nd sleeve.

Anne said...

Made your soup last night..:)
Very yummy thanks for sharing.

How's that second sleeve going...;)