The other day, on our way to strawberry picking, we drove by a factory; a food factory belonging to the largest food corporation headquartered in the U.S. (Do you know your food giants?)
An interesting conversation started in our car with Nathan wondering why food would be "manufactured" in a dull, gray factory like a car or a lawnmower. Shouldn't food be prepared in a kitchen? Where's their garden where they get the ingredients from? Does what they are producing really deserve the name "food" - like guacamole without avocados? The Free Online Dictionary defines food as "Material, usually of plant or animal origin, that contains or consists of essential body nutrients, such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, or minerals, and is ingested and assimilated by an organism to produce energy, stimulate growth, and maintain life."
Produce energy. Stimulate growth. Maintain life. A lot of products marketed as food hardly live up to that, unless your idea of stimulating growth is a fat belly.
Interesting thoughts coming from a pre-teen. I'm glad he's questioning the status quo & seeing things for what they are.
An interesting conversation started in our car with Nathan wondering why food would be "manufactured" in a dull, gray factory like a car or a lawnmower. Shouldn't food be prepared in a kitchen? Where's their garden where they get the ingredients from? Does what they are producing really deserve the name "food" - like guacamole without avocados? The Free Online Dictionary defines food as "Material, usually of plant or animal origin, that contains or consists of essential body nutrients, such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, or minerals, and is ingested and assimilated by an organism to produce energy, stimulate growth, and maintain life."
Produce energy. Stimulate growth. Maintain life. A lot of products marketed as food hardly live up to that, unless your idea of stimulating growth is a fat belly.
Interesting thoughts coming from a pre-teen. I'm glad he's questioning the status quo & seeing things for what they are.
4 comments:
Out of the mouths of babes . . . .
So great that he is putting thought into this! I agree completely, so much "food" out there today is not food at all!
good for him!! and scary *guacamole* bit! yikes.
Cadi~
The "lilacs" at the bottom of the tree were made on random, backstitched branches. Just a design that I found pleasing.
The flowers ae french knots . . one at the tip of the branch, and then two in the next row, three in the next . .or that was the original idea. Due to placement, I had to fill in the empty spaces and I liked it.
I kept going until I liked the flowers. Oh, They were done in a variegated DMC thread . .mixture of blue and purple . .DMC 4215.
Leaves were added at the end in places gthat were too empty for my liking.
Post a Comment