Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

The boys had baked a yummy banana-walnut-pecan bread last night. They fixed me some tea with it this morning & made me sweet cards. I'm taking my class strawberry picking this Thursday, so off we went to scoop out the spot in the country...

Reminds me of growing up in a tiny village in Franconia.

Beautiful rosebushes.

Berries picked.

Being lazy in the sun.

More pretty blooms.

Two pretty stems for home.

I'm craving a good ole American beef burger for dinner. The children have kindly offered to prepare one (from organic beef may I add). We'll have dinner out on the porch. The weather is gorgeous. And the yummy berries with whip cream will be yummy, too. I'm sure.

In the U.S. Mother's Day is a $14 billion dollar industry. You really don't have to spend money to have a nice day, though. It's been a nice Sunday so far. I enjoyed the simple day with my boys.

I hope my own mother had a lovely day, too. Her last words to me a few weeks ago were, "Do what you want." I suppose I wasn't as receptive as she had wished to her suggestion that I was mentally ill for having this baby. I've respected her wish to have us out of her life. She was a single Mom for a period of my childhood. I'm sure things weren't always easy for her. I appreciate the sacrifices she made for me on her journey.

It takes a village to raise a child. Happy Mother's Day to all of you who do their part in raising the children "of our village."

P.S. Noah will be going on a balloon-ride with his class tomorrow. Drop-off is at 5:45 a.m. (Yawn!) Nathan & I will get to see him lift off into the heights of the sky. I think I'm more nervous than he is.

2 comments:

Kimmie said...

Happy Mothers Day gorgeous. If you read my Mothers Day post you will know that I do not see my mother as we do not share the same heartsong. I love the quote it takes a village to raise a child. Our local school often has it on a sign out front. Looks like you had a lovely day~!

Hugs

Kimmie
x

Sue from Ky. said...

Thanks for stopping by. I'm so sorry for your loss,but elated for you over the baby. I have lost 1 husband through divorce,and that was similar to a death to me,but have a wonderful husband, now of 32 years. I think often of 'what would I do if'. You know the thought.I suppose, with the help of friends,family, and the Lord, I would survive. As will you. My thought and prayers are with you and your family.ABelated Happy Mother's Day to you!Sue from Ky.