Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

This baby is quite active. I have especially noticed that this weekend. It assures me that all is well with Little Bean, although I continue to be quite anemic & tired. But it also makes me sad. These are moments to share, alas there is no one to share them with. I had a dream over the Easter weekend. I walked towards Brent and said, "I think I'm having a boy." He came towards me & I remember feeling a lot of love in his expression. Then it was all gone...

Weird dialogues from real life...

"Is the father involved?"

"I'm sure he is in his own way, but he won't be present on earth for the birth. He died three weeks after we found out that I was pregnant."

"Oh, I've been doing this for 40 years & you are only the 2nd person this happened to. I'm so sorry."

Me thinks... Geez. 2 in 40 years? That's like lottery odds. Maybe not jackpot odds, but you know, maybe $100,000? Couldn't we have won the lottery instead? As water-signs I'm sure we would have made an altruistic donation to a good cause & I would have loved to spend another summer in New Zealand rather than being asked...

(I hope you are ready for this one! Are you ready?)

"The father is dead? [Pause.] How did you get pregnant by a dead guy?"

(I should have said something like... Pssst. It's my secret fetish, but if you promise not to tell anyone, I'll tell you all about it... Brent would have gotten a good laugh out of it, across the threshold there, I'm sure. I loved his dry humor.)

That one, I must admit, left me s-p-e-e-c-h-l-e-s-s, though.

He was alive when it happened.

I promise!

He really was.

I hope you do believe me. ;-)

7 comments:

Allison said...

Oh Cadi! I do believe you! How can people be so stupid! I hope that you could laugh about it afterwards! Sending you kind wishes from across the sea. Al

paula said...

I think Brent is definitely laughing at these comments . . how could he not? perhaps they are his way of putting some "weird, odd"' humor into your days . . . they do get you thinking, "What did they just say?" Don't they . . an d they get funny when you put them into your own context :0}

By the way, how did the project go? You haven't told us, how your son did, have you?

Cadi said...

Paula -

Thank you for keeping me "on task." :-) I haven't been able to take pictures of the project, because it's still at school, but his work was excellent. WE also haven't mailed the platypus thank yous yet. Yikes. Must get to the post-office this week. Need to get the pin-cushion out, too.

I'll see if I can sneak a few pictures of the report...

Charlotte Scott said...

Oh, Cadi! I just read this now and I have to say I giggled! What on earth was that person thinking?! And I'm positive Brent was laughing too! That's about the best dumb comment I've ever heard.

Lizz said...

If this was a midwife, I think that was very insensitive of her. Especially being a midwife! lol

Cadi said...

No, it wasn't a midwife. It was some other "health professional."

Hira Animfefte said...

Holy cats! I will never cease to be amazed by the insensitive comments of people. Idiots!

May your wonderful Brent's memory be eternal. (((((HUGS))))) I lost my Nelson in November 2009.