Pages

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Salmon Chowder

We've always been fans of the chowder at Whole Foods. I always thought chowder was difficult to prepare. Not! I started following a recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, "Soup!" by Pippa Cuthbert & Lindsay Cameron Wilson. I love to cook soup. I unique-ified the recipe along the way & I'm gonna write it down here for future reference.

3 strips of bacon, cut into small pieces
3/4 pound salmon
4 medium potatoes
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/2 medium red onion
3 tablespoons flour
4 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
a bit of fresh chives & 3 or so sprigs of parsley
a bit of olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Bake the salmon in the green clay baking pan with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper & dill, then set it aside to cool. Cut the potatoes in half, leaving the skin on and arrange them cut-side down in the olive oil/seasoning/salmon drippings pan & bake them in the oven.

In the big ole pot brown the bacon & add the red onions until they become glassy, then add the flour making sure there are no lumps. Add the milk & half and half and let it all come to a boil. Reduce it to simmer adding the salmon & baked potatoes & the corn & the chopped parsley. Serve warm in hot bowls.

Yum. Yum.

Next time have some French bread & homemade garlic butter to make garlic bread!