A few days ago Noah came home from school & told me that he needed to find someone he considers to be an "ideal parent" & interview them. The person didn't have to be his parent. He could even interview the person via phone... In my head I was already taking a deep breath & telling myself to stay calm. I was sure he would choose his father who gives Noah & Nathan loads of junk food & unlimited TV privileges & "gaming time," which makes one a perfect parent in the eyes of a child. But, I was wrong. This thought was still swirling in my head when Noah asked to interview me.
So, today he fixed me a cup of tea & he interviewed me.
(1) What changes occurred in your life that made you feel you were ready to be a parent?
(2) What made you decide to become a parent?
(3) What preparation did you have to go through to be ready for your child?
(4) How did you feel when you first saw/held your baby, compared to a few months later?
(5) What changed about you as you parented your child? (Did you change your mind about how to parent?)
(6) How did you handle the financial cost?
(7) What have you learned?
(8) What qualifies you to be a parent?
(9) What is your experience in parenting someone older?
(10) What are the top five skills a parent needs?
It was interesting to reflect on these things. This interview was an assignment they have been given during the anatomy/physiology block that includes the reproductive system. I'm so glad that the aspect of the responsibility that comes with having a child is emphasized in a Waldorf school. It beats the "this is how babies are made" talk so many students & teachers have to suffer through. In the end, you probably don't need to "learn" how babies are made; chances are you'll figure that out sooner or later. The responsibility part is much more important.
Yours truly,
The Ideal Parent
7 comments:
Wow, what a honor...But I wouldn't be able to answer certain questions on the spot....did he leave you time to think? Congratulations, anyway...this is the best award you can get...Here we are still in the stage where mum is fantastic(when she isn't horrible, that is)but I cannot figure our how to cope with a growing boy...
A Belated Happy Birthday to you,Cadi,since I've gotten behind a bit on reading all my many friend's blogs.Hope you had a good day,and it sounds like you did. I have kept lots of handmade cards from the kids at the school where I worked for 30 years. It's nice to read them now and reminisce.
a friend once told me he wouldn't have sex until he was prepared to have a baby & something about that made entirely too much good sense. these questions really address that. Nicely done, school!
Wow. What great questions, and what an honor! You ARE a great mama, and I'm happy for you that even your son realizes it.:o)
I did have a hard time with some of the questions... "What have you learned?" On some days I wonder... Ha!
Lovely post~!
What fantastic questions. I think they should be a part of every school cirriculum. I'd have to sit and ponder some of them if asked (although I'm a meany mummy at the moment, so not likely to be asked any time soon!)
xx
Post a Comment