Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sigh

It's often small, odd things that bring about an intense wave of grief.

Today it was knitting sheep. Yeah. You read that right.

I'm knitting sheep for some Easter giving and as I was knitting away I couldn't help but let my mind drift back. Back to happy times. Driving up into the hills of Christchurch, the trip across Arthur's Pass to the West Coast. Driving down to beautiful Akaroa or up to the stunning Kaikoura.

That was New Zealand last July - only then, but in ways it seems like a lifetime has passed since.

The sheep were happy & carefree, roaming the beautiful hills. We were happy & carefree, too. Narrow roads winding across small rivers. Sunshine. Snow. Beach. Mountains.

If only I could turn back time, even for a moment. If I could, I would want him to hold my hand. He had the biggest, strongest hands that have ever held mine. I felt safe with him. Now I just feel alone & vulnerable.

I guess I better go and knit some more sheep. Maybe I can knit in some of the happiness that was ours back then.

2 comments:

Charlotte Scott said...

I hope you'll post a picture of your sheep, they sound very snuggly. And knitted sheep will stand still so you can photograph their faces...! I glad you have such wonderful memories of the A.K.D, and that you still feel okay to share them.

Cadi said...

Lottie,

The AKD will always have a place in my heart. :-) I will share pictures of the sheep when they are sewn up & stuffed. Maybe I'll be in a space for a WIP Wednesday post next week.

Bright blessings to you!
Cadi