Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Health Insurance Nightmare

In August my health insurance company pre-authorized the homebirth. When billed in September, they refused to pay. In the letter they said that the services required pre-authorization. Geez! Thank goodness I had the written pre-authorization still in my desk. I filed an appeal via phone & reminded them of the pre-authorization they had given. They assured me that things would be taken care of; told me that the claim processor had probably just overlooked the pre-authorization; told me I'd hear from them within 30 days. I assumed that they had made payment by now. How naive of me to think so! When going through my mail-pile this evening, there was another letter from them. This time they simply say that they are not going to make a payment. No reason given. Really, huh? 

It makes me so mad that insurance companies can get away with behavior like that. When you've just given birth, or when you are sick, the last thing you wanna do is fight with an insurance company. And my excellent midwife is still waiting on getting paid six weeks after the birth?! This is just wrong on so many levels! I've written up another appeal. How can they refuse to pay if they have pre-authorized the services? Seems Kafkaesque. Some poor caseworker will be getting some steam from me in the morning. I want the insurance company to make a speedy payment to my midwife! Send me some good juju, please?! 

9 comments:

paula said...

fingers, eyes, arms, toes, legs and anything else I can cross are crossed for you for tomorrow


\0/ paula

Cadi said...

Thanks, Paula. Maybe your pets can do it, too?! ;-)

Jenny said...

Don't even get me STARTED on the whole health insurance system!!! That is terrible how they are treating you!!! Don't give up!!!

Anonymous said...

ackkkkkkkkkk what a pain!!!!

sending tons of good juju your way!!!

emerson-j said...

sounds stressful!!! sending loads of juju over to u!!

Anne said...

Oh that is just too bad, it is wrong to have to fight for what you have paid for. I hope it is sorted out quickly.

Jane said...

Wishing you luck. This exact scenario happened recently to a friend of mine who also had a home birth. Stay strong and don't give up.

Cadi said...

Thanks for the good juju.
Taken care of.
Check.
Yay!

(I remained calm.)

paula said...

For your teeth . . . is there a dental school within a reasonable diving distance? I know when I was in Indiana, people would go to IU's School of Dentistry in indianapolis . . it was worth the drive.

Now,it only takes me about 15 minutes . . or 2 songs on the radio if the traffic is normal, to get there. You are assigned a student who is either a 1st or 2nd year student. Both years, they have licensed dentists who have to approve what they do. And if they have never done it on a person, the dr is almost over their shoulder.

Check it out . . it's worth it. I think a cleaning is $40 and this filling will be $48 (+/-) when it gets finished.

Let me know what you fin dout.

\0 /paula