Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Meet Potato Sack

You know, on Ravelry everything must have a name. I had originally named it "Phunky Monkey" because of the very colorful yarn. I've renamed it "Potato Sack." I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning (okay, 12:05 a.m.) to block this & the soaking made it huge. The yarn stretched out way too much. There's no way it will fit her anytime soon. Ughh. Arghhh. Well, I suppose it's a pretty potato sack.

I'm starting to think "birthdays." Nathan & Nuriel both have a birthday coming up in September. I'm knitting a hat for Nathan. He actually asked me to do so. I had a look on Etsy for inspiration for Nuriel. I found a perfect lil' doll with a knitted body for her. Price tag: $185. Now, I do want to say that I'm glad to see a doll priced at $185. If you've ever made a doll, you know that it's *a lot* of work. And I do believe we live in a society where handmade is undervalued. However, it is not what I can pay & it's so nice to make a doll for your child, so I'm making my own. I had some suitable yarn in my stash. I have some leftover doll-making supplies from a workshop I did last year. I'm making my girl a doll. Price tag: $0 - sort of. Here's that work in progress...

I'm going to crochet a cap for hair, using an auburn mohair yarn. - That's if my yarn snobby self can get over the 5% nylon content. (Help me, Mindi!) If not, the doll may just need to have a permanent hat. I'm undecided about what color to use for embroidering the eyes. I've also started using some purple lace yarn to make a mini shawl. It'll be a 12" doll, which is a good size for a small child.

5 comments:

MamaWestWind said...

Aw, I LOVE the doll! So beautiful! I would love to learn how to make one. The sweater is lovely too. Even if she has to grow into it.

Becca

Aimee B said...

At least children do not grow smaller! She will be wearing that sweater before you know it! It is a lovely Potato Sack!

Regina said...

With your daughter having the most astonishingly blue eyes the doll's should be blue too, shouldn't they? :-)) And she will like her doll no matter what the price tag says ...

paula said...

Ditto what everyone else has said . . . and I think Mr. Potato Sack will be cute . . when she grows into it =)

Maria said...

What beautiful creations! And so, so sweet!