Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tataa! It's Tuesday.

And my WIP Wednesday from last week is done!

I should know by now that lace needs blocking, but I continue to be disappointed when a lace project comes off the needles, all out of shape & uneven. When I had cast off the 480+ stitches and the blanket was not a square by any means, I considered frogging, but then the choleric in me emerged and I decided to block it into shape according to my liking. And blocking did make all the difference.

Little Boy Blue. 30"(75cm) square.

A sweet, tiny blanket.
And it smells so good from the Eucalan Eucalyptus Woolwash.

Another lace project is already on the needles. More on that at WIP Wednesday tomorrow.

Sideline: I do realize it must be awkward for blog readers from New Zealand & Australia to read these "a day behind" posts. I actually think it's funny. The United States is an advanced nation, but when it comes to the time, here in America we're always behind. ;-) Brent & I joked about that a lot. When it was Saturday for him, he would often call me to point out that I still had another workday ahead of me. Likewise, on his Mondays I would make it a point to emphasize how much I was enjoying my Sunday.

12 comments:

Restless Prairie Farm said...

It's beautiful Cadi! I'm going to have to tackle a lace project. I've been scared for too long.:o)

paula said...

Simply beautiful . . . Nuriel will be so handsome wrapped in it.

:0} paula

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Lovely little blanket, delicate pattern.

emerson-j said...

amazing..i just couldnt even comprehend how to make one!! i might go and watch u-tube to see someone making one...it looks so hard!!

Cadi said...

I simply adjusted a triangular shawl pattern. knitting lace is basically just knit, purl, yarn overs (forming a loop of yarn on your needle), and knitting 2 or 3 stitches together.

Really.

That's all it is. I wish I could come to your house NOW and show you just how simple it is. :-)

Ashley said...

gorgeous! I love the lace stitching. What's your favorite way to block items?

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful blanket. K.

Kimmie said...

Hi gorgeous Cadi

Been thinking bout you also. Hoping that you are well and rested as you await your new bubba. Such a bittersweet time for you I know so sending lotsa hugs and love your way.


Kimmie
x

Cadi said...

Ashley,

I'm still learning. This is where I learned how to do it:

http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2005/08/23/walk_around_the_block.html

I used to block on the bed, but I like the blocking surface they have at the lys better. It's almost like a Styrofoam with a smooth, water repellent surface. I really like it.

I've blocked shawls with the string method (see link) and I've blocked them using pins for the straight top-section, too. I personally prefer the pins, although you have to use a lot of them.

Hope that helps.

Carrie Bostek said...

OH, now I must to lace! I have bought patterns and have been looking at yarn. But have not dove in to do lace yet. Your little boy blue just blew my horn for lace.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cadi,
This is the first time I have been on your blog and I was so pleased to learn you are a Waldorf teacher. I work at Eucalan and the owners daughter is a Waldorf teacher in Buffalo NY.
Anyway, I wanted to thank you for your mention of Eucalan. It's always such a pleasure to see the beautiful work people do and to hear that they trusted Eucalan to care for it.
Best wishes for a safe and healthy delivery of your baby.
Tabatha

Regina said...

Lovely colours and lovely pattern too.