Mondays will be "Midwife Mondays" for a while. How many more "Midwife Mondays" will there be? - I wonder. Another lovely visit today. Most importantly Lil' Bean is well. He can't decide on which side he wants his bum to poke out. Quite the active baby, especially late at night.
I'm in the process of writing my birth invitation - essentially a list of the things I would like present at the birth. Not tangible things. Things like life, strength, safety, wisdom... and so on. It's a nice exercise for positive affirmation. I'll share it if it doesn't get too personal.
Over the past few days I have gotten a few e-mails asking me what I still need or want. What you're about to read might sound unusual. Nevertheless, it is what I desire most.
There's a very spiritual piece for me in preparing for the birth of this baby. William Wordsworth's Ode: Intimations Of Immortality From Recollections Of Early Childhood is a poem I have loved since first hearing it in my Waldorf teacher training years ago. The entire poem is amazing, but this piece I find especially beautiful:
I'm in the process of writing my birth invitation - essentially a list of the things I would like present at the birth. Not tangible things. Things like life, strength, safety, wisdom... and so on. It's a nice exercise for positive affirmation. I'll share it if it doesn't get too personal.
Over the past few days I have gotten a few e-mails asking me what I still need or want. What you're about to read might sound unusual. Nevertheless, it is what I desire most.
There's a very spiritual piece for me in preparing for the birth of this baby. William Wordsworth's Ode: Intimations Of Immortality From Recollections Of Early Childhood is a poem I have loved since first hearing it in my Waldorf teacher training years ago. The entire poem is amazing, but this piece I find especially beautiful:
Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
The main reason for desiring a homebirth for this child is that I want quiet, solitude and familiar surroundings. Just after Brent's death I spoke to a wonderful spiritual teacher who gave me this picture: As Brent is rising into spiritual realms, the child is descending through spiritual realms and the opportunity is created for the two of them to meet. That is how I have pictured father and child these past few months. Sometimes I talk to both of them. In lighter moments I have asked Brent to tell our child to please sleep through the night at an early age. ;-) Birth will be a kind of good-bye for the two of them, although they will always remain connected. The child will arrive on this earth where he will be welcomed with love. Endings and beginnings. Such is life.
I believe that there is a spiritual world. It is gifts from that realm that I desire. The birth invitation my midwife asked me to create today is thus a beautiful exercise for me. If you want to give us a gift, you can light a candle and/or speak that beautiful part of Ode to Immortality when I'm in labor. I have a feeling I will still have enough time to hit the "Publish Post" button on a previously saved blog entry once that time comes. It might sound like something insignificant to you, but to me it truly is what I need most.
Thank you for your blessings!
P.S. Remember the Groaning Cake? My midwife says it tastes best with homemade cream cheese icing. Sounds good to me...
8 comments:
I'll be there for the Groaning Cake . . It still sounds so delicious.
Lil' Bean is going to come into the world with so much love around him. What a lucky little thing.
I enjoy your blog. I went to a Waldorf school for most of my school life. Loved it. Your courage is an inspiration. Thanks!
I will try to do that for you, you and your child will be surrounded with lots of light and love.
Oh dear Cadi, such a beautiful image, I have always thought that poem was wonderful.
I love midwife Monday! And I remember very clearly that with Chloe (so 10 yrs ago now) our midwife visits were always on Mondays.
21 days! Oh please let me send you diapers soon!
Your birth list is great, I hope the time is filled with much peace, that you are able to feel all the love that is surrounding you, I know little one will feel it too!
XOXO
how you picture Brent and Nuriel is exactly how I picture it. I believe they have a period of time together, where they meet. I speak to Ella about her father in a way that says she already knows him because they were together before she was born.
I'm so excited to hear you speak like this ...it validates my own, mutual feelings.
i would be honored to light a candle and say these words for you! i got chills all over when i read about brent and babe meeting in the in between. such beauty there is in tragedy.
This post is so beautiful and poignant. Your image of father and child intimately communing, knowing that they will soon enter different, but connected realms, is both powerful and peaceful.
I will watch for your labour post and join in on sending beautiful birthing energy your way.
Blessings...
That is quite a poetic, and profound image...one ascending, one descending, and you centered perfeclty between in the curve of the U.
Post a Comment