Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Superwoman!

Midwife Monday. I feel so empowered. We started talking about labor today. Amongst other things, my midwife gave me a list of things to do (and not to do) in case labor progresses so rapidly that she can't be here on time. Women give birth on their own. The most important thing is to stay calm. I walked away with the confidence that I could do it on my own.

My midwife talked about how you hear these stories in the media of police officers delivering babies on the side of the road; how they end up being interviewed & hailed as the hero, when in fact the woman was the one who kept it together (aided by a rush of adrenalin) and gave birth. A quick search found some examples.

Like this one: A police officer who planned to have a stern word with a driver who overtook him ended up helping deliver his baby. - Wooot? It makes it sound like the man had a baby in the car. The entire article never even mentions the woman who gave birth!

In this one it says the woman was in pain. A laboring woman & pain - now that's an unusual & newsworthy occurrence, huh? The police officer told the woman to push. Ya think she wouldn't have known what to do without his instructions? Afterward the father said, "Now that it's over, it was a pretty cool experience." Assuming the correct definition for cool in this context is slang, you could substitute excellent or first-rate or relaxed for cool. I wonder if the Mom would agree that giving birth on the side of the road was excellent, first-rate & relaxed.

And we women are considered the "weaker sex."

[Looks over her shoulders to make sure no one is watching...]

Yeah right!

7 comments:

paula said...

Mother-in-law was almost like that with the hubby . . who was baby #1. She kept thinking she had time . . .father-in-law basically had to drag her out of the house . . . she gave birth on the gurney that took her into the ER.

And too this day NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING can is man to hurry up.

LOLget th

Berryman Family said...

My husband and I had that talk with our midwife a few weeks before we were blessed with the gift of be the only ones present for the birth of our son at home. Our lovely midwife arrived 5 minutes later :) It is a memory I will cherish forever.

Stella said...

Awesome post! Yes, women are much stronger and more hard-working than we are ever given credit for... Also exemplified by the common phrase 'being at home with children is not like REAL work' (she says as she sits on the couch reading and responding to blogs)...

emerson-j said...

great post!! OMG 14 days to go!!!!

Linn said...

Thank's for visiting my blog!
I completely agree that the man doesn't really do any of the physical work, other than being there for the women actually doing the work.

Thank's for an interesting post!

Restless Prairie Farm said...

The side of the road delivery is the reason I went from a midwife assisted birth to an unassisted one. The midwife I liked couldn't work in florida and her birth house was over two hours away. I started hearing a little voice that said I wouldn't make it.....thankfully I listened. Ronan was born 45 minutes after my first, "Hmmmm, I wonder if this is it?" lol. My wonderful, calm, in the bathtub, birth was much nicer than it would have been on the side of the road. :o)

I know you'll have a great birth. I'm so excited for you!

Sue from Ky. said...

I've hear stories of my great grandmother iving birth, while my great grandfather was working in the fields. He came home for dinner, and as he ate his meal, she asked if he wasn't going to take a peek at their new baby,sleeping in the bedroom.She had delivered by herself, and went on to fix a big meal for her husband.Amazing how strong we women can be when the need arises.