School life goes on in the midst of it all...
I have started to introduce cursive writing to my 2nd graders, the Vimala alphabet to be specific. Usually a teacher should only introduce things he or she has mastered, but I must admit I have not yet mastered this style completely. It is quite a will-activity to change one's handwriting! It was a journey inspired by this book. I highly recommend it.
The students have been learning it for about a week now while listening to stories of Saint Francis. We are making a book about his life so to speak. It will include his famous Canticle of the Sun, which they are learning by heart. Some illustrations are crayon drawings, while others are paintings. Here's some of the work thus far...
I have started to introduce cursive writing to my 2nd graders, the Vimala alphabet to be specific. Usually a teacher should only introduce things he or she has mastered, but I must admit I have not yet mastered this style completely. It is quite a will-activity to change one's handwriting! It was a journey inspired by this book. I highly recommend it.
The students have been learning it for about a week now while listening to stories of Saint Francis. We are making a book about his life so to speak. It will include his famous Canticle of the Sun, which they are learning by heart. Some illustrations are crayon drawings, while others are paintings. Here's some of the work thus far...



Yes, the lower case "t" is crossed all the way at the top. It looks a bit unusual, doesn't it? But the author says that each letter as an inner meaning. The "T/t" is about destiny - how far are we willing to reach to find our destiny in life? All the way! Thus the "t" is crossed at the very top. I've given my students the image of reaching for the stars, crossing the "t" way up there...The students are also working hard on memorizing the class play. I wrote last year's class play, but I just couldn't wrap my mind around it this year. This year's play will be Saint Athracta's Stags.
We're playing "Amazing Grace" on the pentatonic flutes. Yup. It works!
I'm having the class take a break from their regular handwork project, the gnomes, and they will be making the Spring Chicken Egg Covers from Peace Fleece. What wonderful yarn! Such a great kit. The children who have completed their knitting projects will then move on to crocheting a shopping bag. Crocheting goes nicely with learning cursive writing.
Yes, I'm busy!
1 comment:
LOVE the way you incorporate so many things together in your classroom. You are very skilled and imaginative in the way you teach.
Post a Comment