Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Tataa... A Babynaming Giveaway!

I came to this yummy local cafe this morning to have a bacon-cheddar-spinach wrap (so good) & a hot mocha for breakfast, and to use their internet connection to create this post many of you have been waiting for.
So, I've created this shoulder shawl. I hope you will like it, 'cause I'm giving it away. I used the Flower Basket Lace Shawl & Scarf pattern by Evelyn Clark. The shawl measures 60” (150 cm) from left to right tip & about 24” (60 cm) from top edge to bottom tip. – A generous size. The yarn is organic Merino O~Wool in Cranberry (or Mulberry?).

Your task is to guess Lil' Bean's name! Sorry if you think that's boring. I'm not quite ready to let the blogger-world actually name my child. ;-)

Here are the hints:

(1) I'm sticking with the cultural origin out of which my older boys were named & to the same beginning letter as well.

(2) It's considered a boy name, but I find it has a unisex quality, so I would also give the name to a girl.

(3) I've mentioned the name in a blog post earlier this year.

I don't know if Brent would have loved or hated the name. He would have had some strong opinion one way or the other, though. He was just that kinda guy. After he died, one day I stood on the playground in a sunny spot & looked up to the sun. Suddenly I knew in my heart that this should be the name. I've asked Brent to make another one pop up in my heart if he didn't agree, but nothing has come to me from the spiritual realms, so I'm assuming he agrees.

Here's how it'll work. You can have up to four entries. Please leave a separate comment for each!

(1) Leave a comment with a name guess.

(2) Leave another comment if you are following this blog.

(3) Blog about this giveaway & leave another comment with the URL to your blog post.

(4) Tell me your location. I always love to know where people who read my blog are from.

On all your comments, please leave me an e-mail or your blog URL so I can easily contact you. I will use random.org to generate a winner since my children are out of town, so they can't do the "draw a name out of a hat" thing. You do not have to guess the correct name to win.

If you get the name right, I will send you some yummy handmade chocolates a lil' surprise in the mail, but it won't be a shawl.

Entries will be accepted through Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 - midnight wherever you are!

Have fun!

House-impressions coming up in the next few days.

Happy 4th of July Weekend!

(Added July 4th: The Ravelry link is here. And of course I will send it to anywhere in the world!)

45 comments:

Needle, Thimble and Thread said...

My guess for the name is Nuriel.

Blogging from Wisconsin.

Leanne said...

Hi that shawl is beautiful

Cat said...

I'd have to say the only name I can come up with is Nicolas or Nick which can be Nickie or some such spelling for a girl. I would definitely NOT name him Nimrod! ;o)

emerson-j said...

"I honor the Spirit in you which is also in me." the meaning of Namaste, i thought that may have been baby "N"s name as i have only been following your blog for a wee while and have noticed u used it a few times...however pretty sure its not hebrew!! being a teacher i have come across Neriah which is a lovely male/unisex hebrew name, i also taught a lovely wee dude called Noah (u already got one of those)!!

A Life Less Complicated said...

I'm hoping you'll use Nuriel - it's not a name I've heard before but I think it's beautiful and goes with Nathan and Noah nicely.

A Life Less Complicated said...

I've been following your blog for a wee while now

A Life Less Complicated said...

ooh forgot to include my email on the above posts

I'm from Auckland, NZ btw

elijahsmum [@] hotmail [.] com

emerson-j said...

Nuriel, the angel from Hebrew mythology, comes to mind, his name meaning, "fire of the Lord." beautiful...

Ashley said...

what a beautiful shawl!!! I adore the hot pink color too. I'm not very good at guessing... i even searched google for N-hebrew unisex names. My guess is Nicolas/Nicola --> Nick/Nicky.

Ashley said...

I follow your blog

Ashley said...

I live in southern California, a suburb of LA.

TwigandToadstool said...

I just took a visit back in time, (via your archives)...what a crazy time that must have been. A reminder to me to never take a moment with a loved one for granted. I think it is courageous of you to have shared your pain...
there is a lesson for us all in reading it.

My baby name guess is Nuriel...I think it's just beautiful!

That shawl is beyond amazing by the way!!
xo maureen

TwigandToadstool said...

I also follow your blog...and I'm abundantly grateful that I do!!
maureen :)

TwigandToadstool said...

And...I'm from the Ottawa Valley...out in the forest in Eastern Ontario Canada. We live in a small village with a population of about 100 or so odd folks in the hills!!
Deeply blessed to live here!!
xo maureen

Oddiferous said...

oooooh! I wish I could win! I have to disqualify myself. :P

Anonymous said...

Nadav????

Charlotte Scott said...

Ok - I'm disqualified in the guessing and you know I follow your blog and you know where I live!! (So when are you coming over?) But I'll blog about this giveaway tomorrow (yawning now) and I'll come back and leave a comment.

renee ~ heirloom seasons said...

Nuriel would be very nice, especially with Noah and Nathan.

renee ~ heirloom seasons said...

And you know I follow your blog...

renee ~ heirloom seasons said...

And you know we are in Colorado.
And do you know that you are an incredibly talented knitter? You amaze me! Beautiful scarf!

Folky Dots said...

I scoured your blog and found "Nuriel".
Beautiful name.

Folky Dots said...

I do follow your blog. I have ever since I tried knitting your baby pilot cap. (wonderful pattern btw)

Folky Dots said...

I blogged about your lovely shawl give away at http://folkydots.blogspot.com/

Folky Dots said...

I live in the beautiful Ozark Mountians of SW Missouri.

Seedling said...

Hello! My guess is: Nico. It came to me as I was trying to fall asleep last night (all the fireworks keeping me awake!) I love Nico for either a boy or a girl, but I guess I do think of it as more of a masculine name. Possibly Neko as a variation?

Seedling said...

Ah-ha -- perhaps I'm wrong though. Nuriel seems to be a very popular guess! I am so happy to be a follower of your blog. I can't wait to look through your new home photos after this!

Seedling said...

And finally....I typically read from Nelson, New Zealand. But at the moment I'm in Bigfork, Montana. The shawl is just amazing -- must have taken you some time. xo

Restless Prairie Farm said...

I follow your blog.:o)

Restless Prairie Farm said...

Nuriel. Which I think is sweet.:o)

Restless Prairie Farm said...

I used to be in Oklahoma, but now I'm just south ofWichita Falls.

Restless Prairie Farm said...

I'm off to blog about the giveaway.

Amy said...

I am going to guess Nissim which means "miracles." I think this is a good name for your baby, based on what I read about your life these past few months. knitterofhats on Ravelry

Amy said...

I am following your blog via Blogger Dashboard. knitterofhats on Ravelry

Amy said...

I live in Arlington, VA, about two hours north or you. Holy cow is it ever hot today! 100+ and muggy. knitterofhats on Ravelry

Anonymous said...

I would also guess Nissim or Nuriel :-) I tried loking back through you posts (the ones I hadn't read) but ran out of time.

Your shawl is divine !!! If I were the lucky winner I'd have to send you a baby quilt in exchange (and that is not a bribe). It's too gorgeous to give away with nothing in return.

Anonymous said...

I'm a follower via Google reader.

Anonymous said...

I'm in Carterton New Zealand, which is in the Wairarapa region. Small town, nice people.

momma rae said...

i'm guessing nuriel. don't know any others to guess. i have never met anyone with that name and think it lovely!

momma rae said...

i follow your blog and am glad that i do. that shawl is stunning...as are all the beautiful creations you knit!

momma rae said...

i am in asheville, nc. though i love this area, i do not love the house we rent. i wish to have a home and love where i live one day....soon! i am so thrilled for you on your new venture. your house is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I live in the Blue mountains of NSW Australia.

Blue Skies & Dragonflies said...

we live in marshall, nc (30 min north of asheville)

i have only been a "follower" for a smidge, but i think if our paths crossed in real life we could be good friends...

:) thanks for letting me know about your contest....

i will have to think a bit on names...;)

Blue Skies & Dragonflies said...

i love neriah..."lamp of god", as i truly believe that children are the light of the world.

(guess #1 :)

Blue Skies & Dragonflies said...

nesiah, is also quite lovely...and has a bit of a manly feel to it.

it means "miracle of god", which from the little that i have read about both you & your family, it most certainly sounds like this baby will be just that.

Rachel Sime said...

hi there
Me thinks with super good guessing ;-) your little babe is going to be Nuriel.... Marama is nice too, and its Maori, meaning moon and light.
I am thinking of you over these weeks.
With love and blessings and peace, especially at nights,
Rachel
New Zealand