Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

The Hot Water Story

I've been without hot water since moving into the house here. I assumed that I had a gas water heater & initially I didn't get the gas turned on. It was so hot & humid that I actually enjoyed taking cold showers. Just before the boys came back, I called the city to have the gas turned on. They sent someone out & the technician told me that I had, in fact, an electric water heater. Bummer! My cousin aka realtor tried to get in touch with the seller as this meant the water heater had never functioned and was thus not covered by the home warranty. In the meantime a friend came out and looked at it. It seemed fixed, but the water never got more than lukewarm. A few days ago the water was b-r-r-r-cold again. I saw my first big homeowner expense comin' my way. Sigh. Just then my cousin aka realtor texted me with the number to the company that had installed the water heater, and - lucky me - there was a warranty on the work.

Yesterday two guys came out and determined that the top heating element was blown out. They said that this happens when one turns on the water heater before it completely fills with water, implying it was my fault & thus it would not be covered under warranty. Normally, I would argue with something like that. Truly, I hadn't done anything to the water heater. I'm not fond of the spidery crawl space down there. Alas. I'm too exhausted these days to argue with people.

I need warm water for the birthing pool, so I just said to them, "Can you please get that part installed soon? I'm due on Tuesday & I'm having a homebirth. I want to be able to have warm water in the birthing tub."

There was silence for a moment. It definetly put them out of their comfort zone. Then one of them said, "We'll be here first thing in the morning... and... don't worry about it... I can get the part on warranty... and we will do the labor on warranty, too."

Wahoo!

And sure enough. Someone was here this morning & took care of it. No fuss. I have hot water. I had a warm shower for the first time in two months. Very nice. Maybe I should go and pick up the birthing pool now, huh? Ha.

P.S. Gifts from all over the world keep showing up at my door. Quite something. I feel so blessed. I will have another "Gratitude" post in a few days. I must get some more camera batteries first. Until then please do know that your kindness is much appreciated.

6 comments:

Debbie Buckland said...

Cadi - I recieved your wonderful chicky creations yesturday. The kiddos love them.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

He he that was funny you talking to the workmen about the birthing pool! It all worked out well for you then. Cool. or rather, hot!

paula said...

Have to laugh at the "labor under warranty too." I'm thinking to myself, "Now how does he know if your labor is under warranty? I thought it would be covered by medical insurance."

LOLOL

And, yes, I was hoping you would read my last post about Baby Watch :0}

Need to wash items in my hypoallergenic laundry detergent . . . .then it will be nice and soft to mail . . and then you can wash it in your own baby soap for safety sake :0}

Cadi said...

:-) @ Paula.
One thing is sure. Labor is guaranteed w/ this delivery. ;-)

Charlotte Scott said...

Very pregnant ladies are scary to men it seems! If you are ever in a hurry at the supermarket, just pick a queue with men, then breath deeply, give your belly a rub and give a little groan. I bet they'll let you go first just in case you spit a baby out at them ;)

Sue from Ky. said...

It's amazing all the good things that come with having a baby. Lots of kind words from blogging friends, gifts galore, exceptional help when needed. I guess I have missed out on a lot more than I will ever know, by not being able to have a children.You are so blessed.