Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

The Last Stretch Or Pretty Close To It Anyhow

I'm in this cleaning frenzy, which is unusual for me. I keep a tidy space, but I'm not a domestic diva. I'd rather knit. I know it is normal to go through that stage before childbirth. I remember it with Nathan. I woke up that morning with this impulse to clean the apartment to perfection & to do the laundry. As I was walking up from the basement that day, laundry basket under one arm, Noah, then 21 months old, in the other arm, I felt the first contraction. The apartment ended up being spotless. Nathan was born later that evening. This frenzy I've been in since yesterday is thus scary. I don't feel "prepared to perfection" for this birth yet. Then again, for a melancholic like me that "stage of perfect preparedness" I create in my mind is hardly ever reached. - Just too much to live up to for a human - any human.

My posts of late have been rather personal. Writing helps. At times I contemplate how we have gotten from this idea of writing down one's personal thoughts in a locked diary to processing similar things on a blog where (at least in theory) it could be read by people all over the world. If you don't like the personal spin, I would encourage you not to read the rest of this blog post.

Last night I had a creative spike, so I worked on the Birth Invitation assignment my midwife had given me. I'm supposed to invite all the things I'm envisioning for the birth - how I want the birth to be. I made the writing below into a card, a "real" invitation. I placed a wool roving angel on the front of the ones I'm planning to pass on to the people I have invited to be present. I also made a larger wool roving angel to go over the mantle. It's in a space where I placed my copy of this Birth Invitation, along with a Reiki-charged candle & a picture of Brent. I'm planning on lighting the candle during labor. The invitation itself is prefaced by that lovely poem I mentioned a few days ago. It's just such a wonderful picture to behold. I found this envisioning a very helpful thing to do.

Here it goes...

I trust that this child, who has chosen this incarnation on earth, will be born at the right time, surrounded by the right people, and after the right amount of labor.

Brent, my love, I invite you to this birth, although I know you don't have to be invited to show up. You'll just be here. I trust that you will watch over the events unfolding here on earth from spiritual realms and that you will help bring about all the right things needed for our baby Nuriel to be born in health. Thank you for this wonderful gift.

LIFE, this birth is a celebration of you. I invite you to be present along with your companions: cheerfulness, joy and laughter. May the healthy cries of our newborn baby celebrate you.

STRENGTH, you live in me, but sometimes you slumber. I invite you to come out of the closet and attend this birth dressed in full splendor.

PEACE, I invite you to this birth in form of calm, quiet & privacy. I welcome silent moments should the need arise and I trust that they will feel natural to all who are gathered. PEACE, I invite you to be with everyone present.

WISDOM, I invite you to lead everyone gathered. Give everyone the knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment and insight.

INTUITION, I invite you to guide me to do the things that will bring about movement and progress while ensuring the health & safety of the incarnating soul. I invite you to move others to assure or reassure me when it is needed.

POOP, I did not want you to be around at first as I thought you were a rather embarrassing guest to invite to such a special gathering. However, I have since learned that you are a sign that the birth is near, which I welcome. So, if you have nothing else to do, come on out & join us.

10 comments:

emerson-j said...

beautiful!! felt like crying then u had me in stiches with POOP!

Cadi said...

My midwife said it doesn't work to say something like, "I don't want poop at the birth;" it has to be a positive statement. That's as positive as I could get around the idea of pooping in front of others. :-)

paula said...

Thanks for the POOP! I had tears in my eyes until I got there and then I had a good laugh.

Will be thinking good thoughts for you, Nuriel and Brent this week.

Paula

Chickie Little said...

Beautiful! And hilarious re: the Poop :) I hope all goes well with the last few days and the birth. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Hope to see some pictures of Nuriel shortly!

Bending Birches said...

oh, i LOVE it! all of it!
http://bendingbirches2010.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-am-thankful-for.html

angela said...

what a beautiful post, I laughed out loud at the poop.
I know all will be well for you, cant wait for the photos of the new bub.

Restless Prairie Farm said...

The invitation is beautiful! I wish I had known about or thought about such a wonderful thing when I was preparing for my births.:o)

renee ~ heirloom seasons said...

Such beautiful words and intentions Cadi!

Anonymous said...

I too had tears in my eyes until I got to the part about poop. Then I giggled. What a beautiful post Cadi. And although I am not invited, I hope my good wishes and happiest thoughts for a strong, joyful labour and birth for you will be. I will be thinking of you.

W-S Wanderings said...

Beautifully done. You have a wonderful way with words. Wise and witty :-)